Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pour Your Heart Out . . . Sleep Training

It's now 10:16 am and you have been crying for 16 minutes.  I want to go upstairs and get you, rock you so you can fall asleep.  But, my sweet Eli you have become very dependent on me to fall asleep.  Like, you want to be rocked for each nap and bedtime.  I don't mind it, in fact I love it.  Because you are my last baby.  But, you have to learn to fall asleep on your own my love bug.

I have to be strong.  I am staring at the baby monitor and seeing your arms move and your legs kick.  You are fighting it so much and it makes my heart hurt.  You can do it though.  Willsy did it and he became such an amazing little napper and night sleeper.

Silence.  I see your head moving.  I can't tell if you are sleeping or not.  And I do not dare go close to the door for fear that you will hear me, sense me, or see me.  I will wait.  With an aching heart.

Just know that I love you Eli and I am only doing this so you will always be the happy and smiling baby that you are.

I know every mom has gone through some sort of sleep issues with their little ones.  What did you do?  Did you do sleep training?  Did you nurse them to sleep and just stick with that?  I have read so many books on this and sometimes I just feel defeated.  Hoping my little guy catches on as quick as Will did.

I am joining Shell, for Pour Your Heart Out.  This is the time to just let it out.  Take a deep breath and type it out.  You will feel better.  I promise.  I kinda do.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it Eli!! Be strong mama :-)

Christy said...

I did sleep training after my kids turned 1 year old. I am a big wussy and can't bare to let my babies cry. But, for some strange reason, I can totally let my toddler cry.

Good luck! I hope he figures it out quickly. I have no advice, since my co-sleeping 6 month old wakes every 2 hours at night. Sleep has always been a struggle for us, but my other two kids eventually figured it out and I am confident that Guppy will too.

Heather B. said...

I can't stand to let my little ones cry it out! I'm such a big sissy. I let them sleep with me until about 4 months and then move them to their crib but I'm not a stickler on a sleep schedule. I would probably get more sleep if I was but oh well. they are only little once. Like right now, baby boy is asleep on my chest and has been for an hour or more. I should have totally moved his but can't let this moment go!

Good Luck! Hope he becomes a great sleeper!

Bethany said...

hang in there mama!! you are doing the best that you can and that is all that matters!

Brandi said...

I'm a wimp too. LOL. I nursed LadyBub until she fell asleep... Did I mention I had a HARD time getting her to stop nursing? She finally stopped at 17mo. (after many tear filled nights of her grabbing the neck of my shirt and then pitching a fit when I said 'no.' YIKES!

Now I hold her until she falls asleep for her nap and then I put her in her bed. She'll generally find me when she's tired and say 'up' and if I pick her up and hold her, she'll fall asleep in about 10 minutes.

At bedtime, I lay her in her big girl bed and then I climb in next to her and tell her it's 'night-night' time. She drifts off pretty fast and then I slip out.

Sometimes I wish I could have been stronger to sleep train my kids, but I just couldn't do it.

Best of luck with your little munchkin! Hopefully restful nights are ahead for both of you! :)

Katie De La said...

So hard to see them cry! I gave in and let my daughter co sleep for almost three years. We are finally getting her to sleep in her own bed, in her own room.

Liz Mays said...

I did the same thing and with both of my kids it took just one night. It's so much better in the long run for both baby and you!

Di said...

I'm still nursing my guy to sleep at 14 months. He does take naps at day care without it but if I'm around that's what he wants. Then again his crib is still in our room and he usually ends up in our bed. Yes, I'm a pushover!

Jenn and Casey said...

Hope you all get sleep figured out soon <3 Gotta be tough. Hang in there !

Callie said...

This is so hard, isn't it? I remember those days with an ache in my heart because no matter what you do it doesn't feel right. I hope Eli catches on and you can get some rest, I know how tiring it is for both of you. But know that you are doing what's best for him and it won't last. It is very hard now, but it won't last. Thinking of you!

Adrienne said...

torture! I hope fell asleep fast. Be strong Mama.:)

Maureen said...

Awww...I can relate. Sleep training was hard. Hope your baby can sleep on his own soon.

Clare said...

you know me, i am quite strict with the sleep training. i can't stand it when i am not getting rest and then everyone in the house suffers because i am tired and mean!! keep it up:)

Carly said...

We are having the same problem! He was such a great sleeper, but now with vacations, teeth and ear infections his sleep is a mess. I used to be able to lay him down and he'd fall asleep happily. Now it is a fight every time. Hope it gets better for us both!

Barbara said...

Hang in there. We did sleep training with my first at around 12 weeks and it worked wonders, however, our second is nothing like his brother so we aren't sure if we are going to give it a try. Hang in there. We've all been there.

Shell said...

I hate sleep training. I did it with mine, but I remember that feeling- wanting to go scoop my kids up. Thankfully, it doesn't last too long.

Hope he's sleeping better by now!