Thursday, May 20, 2010

Emergency Room Visit . . .

It was Friday night and I was thinking, hooray...I am getting over whatever I have been fighting off for the past two weeks.

Sinus infection, ear infections, stomach issues, throwing up, I thought I was heading down the home stretch to WELLNESS!

I went to bed tired. Which I have been since I have been sick. But thought nothing more of it.

Saturday morning around 4:30am my husband was up and getting ready for work. I turned over and noticed Will had hopped into bed with us and then rolled back over.

Next thing I know, Lew is grabbing my hands trying to sit me up and I keep falling over. He thought I was having a nightmare. I was wheezing so bad that my heart rate was elevating extremely fast and I wasn't getting air into my lungs. As Lew tried to get me in a chair in our room, I just fell over on him and past out.

I then hear Lew talking and I am not sure who is talking to but within 5 minutes there was an EMT sitting over me trying to get me on to a stretcher. I do remember the ambulance ride being very bumpy and feeling as if I were going to throw up. I got an IV and some anti-nausea meds. pumped into me before we were even at the hospital.

As I was waiting to get taken back to my bed, I saw Lew and Will and I just thought, please let me be okay. I could not imagine anything happening to me.

When I got back to a bed in the ER, I was seen by a nurse and a doctor pretty quickly and they decided to run a bunch of tests, get blood and chest xrays. I immediately started to freak out about the chest xray and it just made me think of my mom. My sister later told me she was so worried when she heard they were doing a chest xray, afraid that they might find some kind of tumor.

Thankfully, it was nothing to that extreme. The Dr. came back in and said the xray showed pneumonia. Along with that I had extremely low potassium. So they pumped me full of fluids and some potassium. I was there from 5am to about 1:00pm. I got sent home with some antibiotics and some potassium pills to take for 10 days.

I was so happy that my Pape came out and got Will to take to my sister's so that he did not have to see me laid up. He did have a great time while he was there and I was grateful for that.

I am still having trouble sleeping. In fact I think I am afraid of sleeping bc I am so worried that I might have another attack.

Doing anything gets me winded. I went to Target yesterday which was a bad idea bc I just wore myself out. Even Target couldn't cheer me up.

I still am in disbelief that I have pneumonia but at the same time relieved that all the questions of why I have been so sick have now been answered.

I have never been so scared in my life. Breathing that way and having the rapid heart rate really freaked me out.

I will never take for granted the pleasure of breathing.


Sippy Cup Mom said...

OMG, so scary! I'm so glad you went to the hospital though! Please get some rest and feel better! My husband gets pneumonia once a year like clockwork. It's so scary and we do an ER visit too.

Angie said...

Woah - scary!! I'm glad to hear that you're alright and that you finally have an answer as to why you've been feeling so icky for the past few weeks.
Take good care of yourself!

Chelle said...

Holy cow, Jenny! That is SO scary! Please take care of yourself--just rest at home and sleep when you can. I hate that you are so sick :(

xoxo chica.

Brandi said...

Good grief. I didn't know you got to ride in an ambulance! My mom had pneumonia last year AND the year before. She passed out, but she sort of has a strange history of passing out (even when she's not sick). My dad was FREAKED.

Anyhow, take it easy and rest. The doc told my mom it was nothing to mess around with (of course, you are not as old as my mom).

Rest, rest, rest! :)

Lindsay said...

I had heard part of this story and I still can't believe it.. well u know what i mean i can but its so scary crazy! So glad your slowly starting to feel a little better!

Clare said...

so glad that you are OK, that sounds so scary!! i can't even imagine!

liz said...

Wow, so scary! Thank goodness Lew was still at home! I hope you FINALLY get better for REAL! Poor thing!

Shell said...

How scary! I hope that you are getting some rest.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

I would have a been so scared. I am glad it turned out okay.

Natalie said...

SCARY!! You poor thing! I hope you're on the road to recovery...hugs and prayers to you!

The Kennison Family said...

That is so scary! Be careful and take it easy!

Chelle said...

Holy cow! At least you are okay and on the road to feeling better. my grandma gets it about two times a year for the past 10 years. It's crazy how it sneaks up on you. Get some rest and feel better soon.

Rachel said...

I just found your blog via theblogfrog and I read your story. Praise God you are okay! What a frightening time. It's so hard as moms for us to rest...try to take it easy, okay?

Blessings to you.


Krystyn said...

How scary..I see by the crab legs you are feeling better...but that's totally "yikes" in my book.

Christy said...

Holy crap. That is scary. Thank goodness Lew was there to help you.