Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Competition is Fierce Peeps...

Okay...not so great on the title but it is so true when looking for a Preschool in our area. Where we are...kids don't really go to public schools. Everyone goes to private. We are in a great school district for public schools don't get me wrong. It is just that everyone here sends their kids to private for some reason or another.

This is even true for Preschool! I am sorry but I do not want to see my little bubsy in a school uniform at the age of 2. For crying out loud, he has barely had time to express himself!

Case in point. I tried to join a local moms group. First off, nothing against any of these ladies but where I live, everyone is a bit upity-if that is even a word. So I knew it was going to be a challenge for me. I come from a middle class family and had to work when I was 16 for what I wanted. I think you are catching the drift. The mommy group didn't work for me. All they could talk about is so and so got in here and the uniforms are just so cute. Not for me.

Anyway. I started my search for a Preschool for bubsy. Believe me, I want the best for him. I want something small, intimate, a place where there is a comforting grandmother like teacher for him. When I was calling and setting up appointments for this week, I was shocked at what some of these schools cost for a 2 year old! For him to go twice a week, half days at a very prestigious school it was going to cost around $500 a month! That just seems a bit outlandish to me. Then I thought, okay he could do the once a week which might be better for him at first anyway. That is almost $300!

Then I decided I was going to skip out on the most prestigious and well known schools in our area. I am not one of those moms. I just want Will to find a place where he can learn and have fun. I found two local church Preschools that we often pass on our errand trips. They are much more reasonably priced and when I say that, they are not going to cost hundreds of dollars. No uniforms. They sounded like the experience I wanted for my bubsy. So this Wednesday we are going to go and visit their 2 year old classes, get a tour and all that jazz. I am looking forward to it. Finally.

My bubsy deserves the best and I hope I find it at one of these schools. With that said. What do you look for in a Preschool? What made you decide on a school or to even home school? Do you think a church Preschool is better than a private or vice versa. I would love to hear what you have to say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oo I do not look forward to trying to find one for next year. Are you still thinking one day a week?